Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The best bread ever

Finally I learned how to bake a delicious rustic and crunchy bread.
My husband got to know a woman when he took Gabriel to gymnastic class. She heard them talking in German and she introduced herself. She is from Mexico but her husband is German and we got to be good friends. One night we went to her house and she served us this wonderful bread and I had to ask the recipe. It is so simple and it has an unbelievable crust. I guess I am retiring the bread machine for a while.

5 cup flour (3 white, 1 rye, 1 whole)
1 cup water
1 bottle of beer (yes, beer)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast

Microwave the liquid for 2 minutes and mix all. Let it raise for 6-24 hours.
Spray a bit of water on top of the dough and bake at 410F in a preheated Dutch oven with lid for 25 minutes and then 25 more minutes without lid.

Believe me, it is the best bread ever!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Missy AKA Little Messy Missy said...

I am going to make this today, thanks for sharing the recipes.

elsa said...

hey, i believe you if you say it's the best- also sounds so simple make!
thanks for the reccomendation!

Anonymous said...

Sounds great.

what size beer is that?