Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Busy as a bee

Spring is a busy time for us gardeners. There are so many things to do and after all the winter days spent inside, there are lots of energy and will to go drive us outside and dig, prune, till, plant and pull weeds until we get sore.

I am so happy so many plants I was not expected to survive the particularly cold winter are showing up. And also some plants I grew from seeds last year are now looking good. The clematis I thought was dead is covered with flowers. The saponaria had a very slow start, but look at the purple flowers! It really pays to be patient when gardening.

I planted most of my tomatoes, broccoli and cauliflower. The red onions and elephant garlic are looking very good. We have been eating lots of spinach and collards and now the lettuce is in season. I will need to plant lots of lettuce, Gabriel eats 2 bows of lettuce salad every day. Yesterday he said he prefers romaine lettuce over bibb.

The girls are in their new house. My husband did a great job building the coop and the girls are growing and they seem very happy (except when the kids decide to 'play' with them).
My jack in the pulpit is blooming!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Missy AKA Little Messy Missy said...

Very pretty yard, you must work very hard! I love SPRING!!!